Who are we?
The CSSA is the Canadian Shooting Sports Association – the voice of sport shooters and firearm enthusiasts in Canada.
We support and promote all manner of shooting sports from traditional target shooting competition to modern action shooting sports, hunting, archery and everything in between. We support and sponsor competitions and youth programs.
We conduct numerous training courses and grant certification for Range Officers, Safety Officers, etc.
We are also politically active at the provincial and federal levels in the fight to preserve Canada’s firearm traditions and the right of responsible Canadians to have unrestricted lawful access to firearms.
We are your voice.
Canadian Shooting Sports Association Aims:
- To promote, develop and encourage the sport of amateur shooting for recreational purposes.
- To conduct and supervise shooting events in those disciplines participating in the Association.
- To establish an association for the affiliation and integration of the shooting disciplines whose aims, objects and purposes are acceptable to the Association.
- To promote or manage projects, activities, enterprises, programs or other undertakings consistent with furthering the aims, objectives and purposes of the association, and that requires the participation of one, or more, or all of the disciplines.
- To provide technical expertise, education and instruction to the shooting sports.
- To disseminate knowledge relative to the laws pertaining to sport shooting and thus make people aware of their obligations and responsibilities.
- To propose, support or oppose, firearms legislation, according to what the Association deems to be in the best interests of sport shooters and the broader community.
- To maintain official communications as approved by the Board ofDirectors.
- Aggressively to oppose and counter misinformation from any source about the shooting sports and firearms ownership.
The beginning of the Canadian Shooting Sports Association came about with the amalgamation of the highly respected Ontario Handgun Association (OHA) and the Ontario Smallbore Federation (OSF). The OHA has been a leader in Canada‘s firearms community since 1957 and the OSF has represented smallbore rifle shooters in Ontario since 1959.
Since its early start in Ontario, the CSSA has grown into a national organization with representation in each province and membership Canada-wide. With its full time staff and over 30,000 strong membership support, the CSSA is working hard to defend the rights of shooters against Ottawa’s numerous pieces of gun legislation. However, as Canadian recreational shooters, we are clearly at a critical point.
Politicians and bureaucrats have proven to be intent on increasing laws and regulations governing ownership and use of all firearms. The impositions will continue. We must be vigilant.
The OHA recognized the need for all shooters to band together for protection of their property and sports. Whether trap, skeet, sport, or target shooters, hunters, farmers, archers, collectors — or people who simply choose to own and keep firearms in their homes.
Every one of us across this vast country must join together for protection.
With the OHA and the OSF as the nucleus, the Canadian Shooting Sports has the credentials, the resources and the best chance to succeed in protecting our rights.
Are you a member? If not, join now!